The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

Wake Up

I don't do art.  I mean, I like it, but I'm not terribly GOOD at it.  However, Maggie Stiefvater last week launched an art contest to create a piece inspired by her Raven Cycle.  I planned to sadly ignore the whole thing until I walked into The Royal Museum in Edinburgh and came upon a skeleton of an Irish Elk.  So how could I not give it ago.  I took some pictures, fiddled about with them and came up with this:





It speaks to me of my very favourite moment in a series that has been filled with favourite moments and if you haven't read The Raven Cycle then I hope this intrigues you enough to pick up the first book.  And then the second.  And then... well, you get my meaning.

Small print: This image is created from an original photograph and copyright belongs to me.  All my own work.  Yup, me - doing art for the first and probably the last time.
back to top