The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

FYA Photo-a-Day 6/7/8. Because Weekend.

As a quick refresher, I'm taking part in Forever Young Adult's Photo-a-Day September.  It's a lot of fun and you can find out more about it here.

Day 6
My Shelves


These are not all of my shelves, nor all of my books.  This makes me both happy and slightly concerned.  But mainly happy.

Day 7
My Bookmark


I don't use bookmarks - I just remember the page number.  In fact, I don't even really do that.  I have the ability to pick up the book and open it where I last stopped reading.  I'd attribute this to good spacial awareness but I don't have any.  So I will instead just attribute it to MAGIC.

Day 8
Most Read


 “The snow in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we came to understand the gravity of our situation.”

That is my favourite first line of all time.  It is the start of a compelling and disturbing story that twists and weaves through the choppy morality of ambiguous friendships, college excess, twisted philosophy, wealth, murk and murder.  It's quite brilliant and I have re-read it at least yearly since first picking it up ten years ago.  And after taking this picture today, I started it all over again.  It's still good.

back to top