The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

IMM (#27)

In My Mailbox is a meme created and hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren with inspiration from Alea at Pop Culture JunkieAll book titles link to further info at Goodreads. All books in this IMM post have been received for review/bought/gifted/loaned/UK Book Toured/acquired through nefarious means.


The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud
Ben Sherwood
Picador 2005
I watched the film adaptation of this book recently and while I thought it was OK I suspect that there is a much better book hiding behind it, so ordered it straight away.


Being Billy
Phil Earle
Puffin 2011
I haven't heard of this book before but it looks pretty interesting, based around a child who has been in care for most of his life.  I suspect it will be a powerful and not altogether happy read.  


A Beautiful Lie
Irfan Master
Bloomsbury 2011
This title is so far out of my comfort zone reading wise that I'm quite dubious about reading it.  Set during Partition in India it is a part of history of which I know nothing so hopefully this book will help educate me.


Eighth Grade Bites
Heather Brewer
Razorbill 2011
Vlad Tod is finally getting his UK debut in January.  I've wanted to read this series for a while and it certainly appeals to me at the moment after reading a few heavier titles.  Also, I'd really like his hoodie.  


Crusade
Linda Press Wulf
Bloomsbury 2011
Despite my usual ixnay on historical fiction, the children's crusade is a story that has intrigued me for a while. I know that it's not a happy tale but I've always been curious to read more and this book is a story set around this real life event. It looks fascinating and I can't wait to read it.


That's it for this week.  I'm still keeping my book buying to a minimum on the run up to Christmas as there are so many other things to spend money on....  Happy reading, everyone!

Comments

Alison Can Read said…
Fab books! I want to read the Vlad Tod books. And the Charlie St. Cloud book.
New follower too.
My IMM
a fab selection of books - vlad is awesome as is crusade!
Oh, all of your books look so awesome. I haven't heard of any of them, but they're definitely intriguing to me. Am especially keen on finding out what you think of Crusade. Happy reading.
ooh. A Beautiful Lie sounds like a book I would love to read..
back to top