The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

Top Ten Tuesday (on Monday): Top Ten Covers That I would Frame as Art

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme run by The Broke and The Bookish.  This week, it focusses on covers that you would happily frame and hang in your house to look at and adore.  I've added that last bit, but I assume that is sort of the point. I'm so excited that I'm posting this on Monday. One week I will actually manage TTT on T. Maybe. In no particular order, here are some of my favourite covers:


I bought this book years ago, at an airport, solely because of its cover.  Seriously, I didn't even read the back.  Luckily, it turned out to be a wonderful book - but I would have been happy just to own it for looks alone.



So I actually already sort of have this one framed as art.  I thought that the cover was a brave choice and one that suggested the publishers already realised that they might have at the least a cross-over title and at the most a classic on their hands. 



This is a fantastic cover.  Seriously, I don't know why I haven't already framed it.  The colours, the font, the relevance to the book.  Brilliant.  As is the story, so read it.



This reminds me of old woodcuts, something which I would like to own many of.  I haven't managed to read this yet, but sometimes I pull out the book and admire its artwork.



Another book that I bought because the cover caught my eye.  This is a new version but is as powerful and intriguing as the first.



I know, I know... this is technically two covers but I couldn't choose.  They are both superb and beautifully and eerie.  If pushed, I would choose to design this blog around the one on the left and frame the one on the right.



A beautiful cover for a stunning book, and one that is very evocative and, well, just gorgeous. 



While I wasn't blown away by the book (or at least not all of it), I think that this was one of the best covers of 2013 and would love to have it grace my walls.  Simple, yet haunting.



I wouldn't normally go for kissing on a cover but this image is just so very beautiful that I could happily look at it every day.  It is also an image that made me desperate to know the story that inspired it as while it is romantic, it is also a little frightening.



Much like Seraphina, Shadow and Bone was published with a ghastly cover in the UK.  Luckily (unlike Seraphina) the publisher came to their senses and republished with this utter beauty.  At least I think they did - possibly, I've just convinced myself of that because they SHOULD have.


And that's it.  BUT as an extra Brucie Bonus, here is a picture of my favourite painting which is just crying out for a story to be inspired by it.  It's called l'Empire de Lumieres and is by Magritte.  If you ever get a chance to see it, it hangs in the Peggy Guggenheim collection in Venice and is well worth a visit in person.


Isn't it beautiful?


I'd love to know what your favourite covers are or your favourite works of art in general, so please pop in and comment and discuss pretty things and where they take you.
back to top