The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

That Was The Year That Was... 2013

2013 was a spotty year for The Mountains of Instead.  I found myself the victim of several huge reading slumps and a few reviewing ones as well and it all started to feel like a bit of a chore. Additionally, I was plagued by back problems, a decrepit PC and an increasingly busy life, so I took chunks of time off, tried to read only what I really wanted to read and am returning with re-charged book batteries, a shiny new lap top and a host of exciting titles to review for what is my fourth year of blogging.  Also returning are my loyal compatriots, Polka-Dot Steph and Cannonball Jones, without whom I suspect The Mountains of Instead would have withered and died.  

We've got lots of interesting stuff lined up for 2014, including a new feature (debuting next week) and a week of The Apocalypse and another week focussing on graphic novels (with contributions from MR. Polka-Dot Steph).  In the next few weeks we will be reviewing the darkly brilliant Gretel and The Dark, the satisfyingly well done Into The Still Blue and the deeply eerie Vengeance but for now, here are the YA books that I loved the most in 2014.












These were all so good.  Although they are generally a mixed bag, I really got into my sci-fi and space opera this year and that's very much still what I want to read a the moment, perhaps with a little bit of the apocalpyse on the side... cheery stuff like that.  If I was pushed to pick an absolute favourite of 2013, it would be between The Dream Thieves and More Than This.  Which should surprise absolutely no-one.  In terms of adult books, the stand out of the year was Life after Life by Kate Atkinson, although The Snow Child (Eowyn Ivy) is a close second and Doctor Sleep (Stephen King) creeps in their too. I binged on crime fiction and was delighted to discover Karin Slaughter, who I really enjoy.  

So these were my favourites, what were yours?  And what are you looking forward to reading to next? Whatever it may be, a Happy New Year to all of you from all of us at The Mountains of Instead - may it be filled with friends and stories and all things good. Here's to 2014!

back to top