The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

IMM (#28)

In My Mailbox is a meme created and hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren with inspiration from Alea at Pop Culture JunkieAll book titles link to further info at Goodreads. All books in this IMM post have been received for review/bought/gifted/loaned/UK Book Toured/NetGalley-ed/acquired through nefarious means.

I'm afraid that I've been a bit lax with my IMM posts over the festive period, meaning that this one is a bit of a monster.  I've not written as much about each title as usual due to the sheer amount.  I blame my new Kindle and NetGalley.  Normal service will resume next week.  Honest.


I don't know much about this one, but it looks like a decent haunted house tale which I usually love.

I was delighted to receive this title and have since read it.  I've mixed feelings as I thought the writing was beautiful but the story lacking... Review coming soon.

Many thanks to Lauren from I Was A Teenage Book Geek for giving me her copy of this when I was sorely in need of some festive spirit.  Loved the JG and MJ stories, less sure about the LM one.

Andrew from The Emancipation of The Pewter Wolf kindly entrusted me with his super shiny ARC of this title.  It's fantastic - you can read my review here.

Another gift from another book fairy, this time Emma from Asamum Booktopia - it arrived as a complete surprise with a Merry Christmas note and I can't wait to read it.

I read this a few months ago courtesy of UK Book Tours and then won this copy from Asamum Booktopia.  I really enjoyed the story and reviewed it here.

This was part of my Book Blogger Holiday Swap gift and it looks great.  I really enjoyed Beastly by the same author so expect this to be just as much fun.

A gift from my mum who saw the movie adaptation recently and was completely blown away by it.  I've not read anything by this author but the story sounds amazing and I've moved this to the top of my TBR pile.

A book full of the little things that make like great - snow days; fixing things by hitting them; underwear warm from the dryer etc etc.  I like having books like this that I can dip in and out of at will.  A pitch perfect Christmas gift from my brother.

Another gift from my mum, who remembered how much I loved this book when I was younger. I really want to read it again and love the beautiful cover on this edition.

Hee hee. Hee hee hee. I really wanted to read this and am so glad that my Christmas Kindle allowed me to sign up to Net Galley and get a review copy. I've read it. It's quite amazing. Review coming later in the month.

This has an interesting dystopian premise and is set in New York.  I think that dystopia and New York work well together and, as this is a debut, am hoping to discover an exciting new author.

I've not read, nor watched, Pretty Little Liars but I do like the sound of the series. This is a new series by the same author and it looks like it is probably in the guilty pleasure genre. That genre should totally exist, booksellers and publishers - get on it.

Another debut for 2011, this is one-of-those-angel-books-that-I'm-still-not-sick-of. Hopefully it's a good one.

I've heard so many good things about Sophie Mackenzie from other UK book bloggers that I thought I should give her writing a go.  This has a strong premise and is the start of a series so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll enjoy it as much as everyone else.

Another UK title, I've wanted to read this ever since Becky at The Bookette posted a review. It just looks like so much adventury fun.

The final book in the Wake trilogy, this absolutely lived up to my expectations. I love the writing style, the story line and the believable relationship between the main characters. Excellent stuff.

Ghost written or not, I've only heard good things about Ms. Duff's foray into writing. Curious to see what I think.
 
After reading Let It Snow, I nearly ordered everything MJ has ever written.Then I held myself back and just ordered one.  

I read a sample chapter of this on my Kindle and was hooked.  It looks great, has had great reviews in the UK press and starts off in Edinburgh, a city close to my own heart.
 
After trying and loving Vampire Academy, I thought I'd give another vamp series a go.  I like the fact that the protagonist is college age but other than that have no idea of the story line.  It was also very cheap, which I liked.

Another college age lead, this time headed to Princeton-but-not-as-we-know-it. Looks like a rollicking good time, methinks.

Ok, I have this because it was free for the Kindle. However, I do remember reading about it a while back and thinking it looked pretty good. Actually, I hope that it wasn't free because it's rubbish...

Embarrassingly, the only thing I know about this book is that it is shortly to be a film starring Robert Pattinson. However, my friend Jill gave me a copy for Christmas as she absolutely loves the story.  I love a book pusher and look forward to getting tucked into this tale of circus life.

Phew! That's it! Other than review copies, I shall not be allowing more books into my house for a while.  Honestly.  Hopefully, I'll have cleared my TBR pile by 2012 but I'm not holding my breath. Hope that you've all received lovely booky Christmas gifts and happy reading for 2011!

Comments

this is an epic IMM. Have fun reading them all
What a fabulous selection of reads you have. I recently read Never Let Me Go and can't tell you how much I loved that novel - I have yet to review it, but it certainly is one of those books that, for all its stark simplicity, I ended up really enjoying. I also got Water for Elephants in my mailbox this week and must say that I'm really looking forward to reading that as well! Loved One Day too - it's a brilliant read. Seriously, your books are awesome. I hope you enjoy them all! I'd be keen to hear what you think of One Day especially.
Library Mice said…
I'd never heard about "Water for Elephants" until R Pattinson was cast in it either LOL
Some of "Never Let Me Go" was filmed very locally. There was a lot of excitement that K Knightley was here!
What a fabulous selection of reads you have. I recently read Never Let Me Go and can't tell you how much I loved that novel - I have yet to review it, but it certainly is one of those books that, for all its stark simplicity, I ended up really enjoying. I also got Water for Elephants in my mailbox this week and must say that I'm really looking forward to reading that as well! Loved One Day too - it's a brilliant read. Seriously, your books are awesome. I hope you enjoy them all! I'd be keen to hear what you think of One Day especially.
Lauren said…
Woah! I'm envious, but also understanding why you're not bringing any more books into the house just yet. I'm trying to do the same, actually.

Re: Wish, I'm pretty sure it's free for a limited time because the sequel is coming out. I downloaded it for Kindle too, and I like the premise a lot.

Re: The Children of Green Knowe, I actually *really* need to reread this. Did you happen to see there was a TV film on over Christmas of it? It was called 'From Time to Time' for some reason, but I missed it and was cursing myself. I used to love the BBC version. :D

Oh, and I'm wanting to read Enchanted Ivy too. I liked Ice *so* much, and have been looking forward to this one. And now I want Those That Wake too. I may be breaking my temporary book buying ban pretty soon.
~The Book Pixie said…
Oh wow! Okay let's see. I practically just posted my review of Low Red Moon at my blog. Enchanted Ivy is a favorite of mine and made my Top 20 for 2010. I have and need to read Elixr, Key to the Golden Firebird, and Nightshade. And then Torment, A Kiss in Time, Let it Snow, Delirium, The Lying Game, Unearthly, and Water for Elephants are on my wishlist! You got so many excellent books and I hope you enjoy them. :D

~Briana
Amelia said…
I agree. Totally epic! "The Key to the Golden Firebird" is awesome. And oh man!!!! I can't wait to read "Low Red Moon" and "Delirium".

"The Children of Green Knowe" and "Tyme's End" both look super good and I've added them to my Goodreads.

"Let It Snow" was a great holiday read. I managed to snag myself a copy when I was in Lexington, KY visiting family last week. I've already finished it and I can't wait to see what you think of it. :)

HAPPY READING!

-Amelia
My Mailbox
Oh The Children of Greenknowe sounds wonderful! I've never heard of it. Unearthly and The Lying Game are on my to-read list for this month. Enjoy all your new lovelies!
Splendibird said…
So pleased to introduce The Children of Greenknowe to people - it's really magical...

@Lauren - I got Those That Wake via Net Galley so you should be able to get hold of a e-review copy. Also, I absolutely remember the BBC version of The Children of Greenknowe - I've been searching for it on DVD for ages.
WOW. What a lot of great books you've got there :) I've got a fair few of them as well (I heart netgalley) but haven't quite gotten around to them. I hope you love Never Let Me Go, it was amazing. Same with One Day - someone gave it to my for my birthday and I was blown away.

I'm a big fan of Maureen Johnson as well :) Have read Suite Scarlett and 13 Little Blue Envelopes and they're both amazing. I recently bought Keys to the Golden Firebird as well and I'm really looking forward to it.
back to top