The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

IMM (#12)

In My Mailbox is a meme created and hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren with inspiration from Alea at Pop Culture Junkie. It basically give book bloggers everywhere the opportunity to share what books they have received/bought/librarised (yes, I know that librarised is not a word) over the last week. All book titles link to further info at Goodreads.


I got quite a lot in the post this week and therefore can't list them in my usual way without this being a hugely long post, so took a picture instead:




I am absolutely NOT a photographer but I think it'll do... All of my books this week are for review (thank you Bloomsbury and Penguin!) and are as follows:


Children of The Lost - David Whitley
The Midnight Charter - David Whitley
Looking forward to these two.  Having slogged through half of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series earlier this year (excellent, but oh so long!) I have been giving fantasy titles a wide berth, but feel recovered enough to take a chance on these two.  For those who like the look of them I will be hosting a UK giveaway once my reviews are up.


iBoy - Kevin Brooks
Excellent stuff, a tale of a truly modern superhero. My review is already up here.


Lock and Key - Sarah Dessen
My first Dessen book (shocking, I know), but it certainly won't my last.  Review ready to post so will be up soon.


Past World - Ian Beck
Dystopia and Victoriana?  Bring it on! This looks like a really interesting title and has been on my wish list for a while.  Was very excited to receive a copy and am really looking forward to getting started.


Blood Feud - Alyxandra Harvey
I absolutely loved My Love Lies Bleeding (review here) and have been eagerly waiting for this, the second book in the series. Have read some interesting reviews and am pretty sure that it will live up to expectations.


Troubadour - Mary Hoffman
The Other Girl - Sarah Miller
4.3.2.1 - Noel Clarke and Jim Eldridge
Girl 16, Five Star Fiasco - Sue Limb
These are all books that I don't know too much about, which is enough to get me interested.  Troubadour in particular is taking me slightly outside my reading comfort zone - always a good thing. 


The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
This is described as The Woman in Black meets Wilkie Collins which is surely the perfect book.  I mean, who wouldn't want to read that?!


Fallen Grace - Mary Hooper
Paper Towns - John Green
The Enemy - Charlie Higson
Fallen Grace has been on my wish list for a while and looks fascinating.  I've actually already read Paper Towns and am still writing my review (like Green's Looking for Alaska it gives you a lot to think about). Charlie Higson is an author that I have been hearing about for ages yet never read and The Enemy, with its compelling premise, seems like a good place to start.


Matched - Ally Condy
I did a little dance when this dropped through the door. Lady M (my small daughter) thought that I was quite mad.  Is there anyone who isn't excited about this one?  I am really into my dystopian fiction at the moment and was tempted to start Matched as soon as I got my mits on it. Thus far I have held back... but not for much longer.


So that's it. I really have had an exceptionally good week and have enough reading material to last me for quite a while. I was all set to not actually purchase any books for several weeks, until I remembered that Linger is out next week. Dammit, Stiefvater!  


Happy reading everyone!





Comments

Vicki said…
You have some fantastic reads there... Fallen Grace was one I enjoyed a lot, Paper Towns too. And Matched... I can't wait to see what you think of that one ... I really want it!
Lauren said…
Spookily, I bought Paper Towns this week too. And I very nearly bought Pastworld on Saturday (it was literally in my hands, but I decided I couldn't carry more than one book) and now I'm envious. It sounds awesome!

I *really* liked Matched. Hope you do too. :D
prophecygirl said…
I loved Pastworld and Fallen Grace. Bloomsbury and Puffin both publish some fantastic stuff. Enjoy!
Dot said…
What a brilliant load of books! I loved Pastworld, Blood Feud and Falling Grace!
What a lot of great books! I'd have done a dance too if Matched came through my door :) I've read several of those, Paper Towns - Lock and Key - Enemy - and loved them all. Hope you do too!

Happy reading :)
back to top