The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

IMM (#10)

In My Mailbox is a meme created and hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren with inspiration from Alea at Pop Culture Junkie. It basically give book bloggers everywhere the opportunity to share what books they have received/bought/librarised (yes, I know that librarised is not a word) over the last week. All book titles link to further info at Goodreads.


For Review:
I'm Not Scared
Niccolo Ammaniti
Walker Canongate 2010
Ooooh, I like a scary story and this one looks pretty eerie.  Walker Canongate have released a number of titles aimed at the crossover YA/Adult market.  I'm Not Scared was initially an adult title but it looks like a classic chilling tale and I have no doubt that it should do well in YA.  Can't wait for a dark, rainy night (tonight, then) to get stuck in!


Pretty Monsters
Kelly Link
Walker Canongate 2010
I don't normally pick up short story anthologies but am curious about this one. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Kelly Link (Holly Black is a big fan) and some of the tales in this look pretty excellent.  Also - the new cover is pretty awesome, dontcha think?
The Radleys
Matt Haig
Walker Canongate 2010
I had actually added this to my wish list fairly recently and was delighted to receive a copy through the post. I have read it, loved it and reviewed it here. Pick up a copy if you are looking for a vampire family who don't sparkle. 
The Adoration of Jenna Fox
Mary E. Pearson
Walker Books 2010
Again, a book that I've been interested in for a while.  Looks part sci-fi, part dystopia and all good.  Another lovely cover, as well.  Have seen mixed reviews of it so am curious to see what I think.




Won:
Sea
Heidi R. Kling
Putnam Juvenile 2010
I was very excited about this after reading fabulous reviews all over the blogosphere. I've now read it and am still chewing over my thoughts because, while I liked the writing I had some issues with the story.... Controversial, eh?  Review coming soon.
Shade
Jerri Smith-Ready
Simon Pulse 2010
I have wanted to read this for months and months. I  had to be very self-controlled when it arrived and place it on my TBR pile rather than just jump in straight away.  I think it looks like it may be made of win and have only heard good stuff about it. Woot woot!


So there we have it - I have had a really good book week.  I was particularly pleased to received copies for review as this has never happened before. I don't blog to get books, but it is nice to get recognition and makes me think that I must have roughly the right idea!  Hope you all had an equally interesting week, on blog and off!  Happy reading!

Comments

Nomes said…
congrats on winning sea! I'm really wanting to read that one.

And i read jenna Fox last week - I liked it - not an absolute fave, but still a compelling read - nicely done :)
Lauren said…
Yay! Congratulations on the review copies, you deserve them. :D The Adoration of Jenna Fox is one of my absolute favourites. I'm Not Scared sounds pretty intriguing too - I hadn't heard of that one before. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.
the story siren said…
fantastic books this week! that is a very interesting cover of Jenna Fox. that is one of my all time favorites. I hope you enjoy them all. happy reading!
Kelly said…
Some fantastic looking books there, I hope you enjoy them all! :)
prophecygirl said…
Woo for The Radleys! And Shade is fab - hope you enjoy :)
Great book week. Happy Reading :D
Great books! Looking forward to your reviews, especially Shade :)
These are the ones we got this week: Vlog
Take care!
Vanessa
Book ♥ Soulmates
brandileigh2003 said…
I enjoyed Jenna Fox and hope you do too. Happy Reading! Here’s mine if you wanna check it out.
Deb said…
Looks like a great batch! Hope you have a great week.
back to top