The Mountains of Instead

Championing fiction as an escape from pandemics, politics and bad TV.

In My Mailbox (#2)

In My Mailbox is a meme created and hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren with inspiration from Alea at Pop Culture Junkie. It basically give book bloggers everywhere the opportunity to share what books they have received/bought/librarised (yes, I just made up that word and I don't care) over the last week. It's also responsible for my personal wish list and TBR piles growing by several dozen titles each week as I get inspired by what everyone else gets in their mailbox...
All book titles link to further info at Goodreads


Bought:
The Summoning 
Kelley Armstrong
Orbit 2008


Saw this in Amazon bargain books and thought it looked like fun.  Reading it at the moment and it's quite intriguing.






The 13 Curses
Michelle Harrison
Simon and Schuster 2010


I read The 13 Treasures a month or so ago and it really reminded me of the type of books I loved as a child.  Can't wait to get stuck into this sequel.








The Kiss of Life
Daniel Waters
Simon and Schuster 2009


I recently read Generation Dead (see here for review) and felt fairly ambivilant towards it.  Never the less, the story arch was strong enough for me to want to seek out book two in the series.  It's going to have to be pretty good for me to continue to book three, though.




Dark Secrets:  Legacy of Lies and Don't Tell
Elizabeth Chandler
Simon and Schuster March 2010


I actually don't know much about this book but got it on the strength of a review by Lauren over at I Was a Teenage Book Geek (you can find that review and her awesome blog here).  It sounds like a lot of fun.




Lament:  The Faerie Queen's Deception
Maggie Stiefvater
Flux 2008


Having read, and loved, Shiver I was keen to try something else written by Maggie.  I  had heard only good things about Lament and was not disappointed - review to follow this week.






Librarised:
The Secret Ministry of Frost
Nick Lake
Simon and Schuster 2009


I know nothing about this book  - the cover caught my eye.  It seems to be a story based around Inuit mythology and that premise alone is enough to make me really excited about reading it.  It sounds fresh and different.






Bad Blood
Rhiannon Lassiter
Oxford University Press 2007


Again, I'd never heard of this book until I picked it up the other day.  It looks like a good, old-fashioned, spooky story to me.  It's got pretty mixed reviews on Goodreads so I'm interested to see how it turns out.






ArchEnemy
Frank Beddor
Egmont Books Ltd 2010


I've really enjoyed the first two books in this vivid re-imaginging of Alice's Wonderland.  Can't wait to see how it all ends.








So that's me for this week. I look forward to trawling through dozens of blogs to find out what treasures everyone else has found.

Comments

Lauren said…
Oooh, Michelle Harrison's books are awesome. I like The 13 Curses even more than The 13 Treasures, because there's even more Red and she rocks.

On the other hand, I have to confess to really not enjoying Kiss of Life. While I did like a lot of the concepts used in Generation Dead, I totally didn't click with the sequel. I'll be interested to see what you think.

Thanks for the shout-out, too. Dark Secrets really is fun. :D
Great titles! Happy Reading ;)


Sincerely
Michelle
the story siren said…
you got some great books this week! a few i've read, a few not. hopefully you enjoy them all! happy reading!
TheBookMogul said…
You have some really good books here. Hope you enjoy them
Kelly said…
Wow you have some great books there, enjoy!
Alayne said…
Oooh I love your blog! The 13 Curses looks fabulous. Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.
Fantastic collection of books this week! I got Lament, too, and I can't wait to read it! I love Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series! Hope you are enjoying it, too! Happy reading!
back to top